11 June 2009

Casual Wear @ FWTT: Not jus a baby tee and jeans!


I have a personal belief, that because we in the Caribbean grow up wearing uniforms every day, this really shapes our attitude towards clothes in our adulthood. I doh know bout you, but when I was a kid I had school uniform, home clothes and party clothes (my personal fave! Who didn't love the opportunity to put on a patterned waistcoat and matching cuffed short pants an roll up in somebody 3-6pm birthday party!). Somehow, however, this culture of dressing has transmitted into my adulthood. My clothes fall into three main categories: what I wear to work, what I wear at home and what I go out in. When I buy new clothes they are almost always going out clothes because I cannot wrap my head around the idea of buying clothes for no occasion really.

When I do need to pull out an outfit to wear to a house lime, to the movies, or even just to the grocery store or errand running, I often find that I have nothing between holey big jerseys and dresses covered in sequins (ok maybe thats an exaggeration, but you get my point!) I find in my observations when I am at home that young Caribbean women seem to find themselves in this situation a lot and just pull on a baby tee and a pair of jeans for these occasions.

I was so excited to see new casual wear options emerging on the Fashion Week runways, especially from trusted and established brands like Radical Designs (I would wear those t-shirt dresses with the prints ANYWHERE...really). There were many items made in comfortable cotton jersey with trendy details like the large boatnecks and ombre colours in Meiling's MSquared line and how refreshing was it to see an actual pair of JEANS on the runway from Earth Member for Life!!! Some designers went a little further to show that the casual could also be classy and elegant with loose, flowing daytime looks in longer lengths and more sumptuous fabrics, such as this dress by Zadd and Eastman.



Styling these casual looks with a variety of tried and true everyday items like flip flops and tote bags really showed that the designers wanted their clothes to be part of the Caribbean woman's every day. Very nice!!

More in the slideshow below:



All pics courtesy Triniscene

No comments:

Post a Comment