30 April 2009

Hmmm.....

Sooo...I see genie/harem/Hammer/dhoti pants are still around. I thought we had decided that crotches of pants were never to reach the knee again (and by we I mean me and fashion of course...)

To me harem pants are like that really unattractive dude from primary school that you and your friends used to laugh at. And then 20 years later he turns up again and lo and behold....he's still unattractive. But you have changed in that you have shed making shallow value judgments against people... and so you start seeing him more and more and every time you look at him you start seeing the personality shining through beyond the grease on his face, and finally you find yourself in a quasi-relationship with him. But now you're worried that you're friends haven't stopped making shallow value judgments and so you limit your time within him to "alone time at home" or in reallly dark restaurants because....bottom line....yuh shame!

Then, inevitably he leaves you for some gorgeous woman who is not ashamed to be seen with him and you get really really jealous.


This is what genie pants are like to me. I thought even in the 90's when MC Hammer was the biggest thing he still looked a fool in them pants. However now, I look at them and they look soooo comfy! So I buy a pair but can't yet bring myself to wear them outside the house. They languish at the bottom of the cupboard and are inevitably donated to charity.


Then I see Angie Harmon looking like this in a look straight off the opening of Ralph Lauren's Spring 2009 fashion show and I think...she doesn't look ridiculous at all! Not only does she look totally comfortable and like all her girl parts are getting quite enough air, she also looks like she just came back from some exotic vacation an happened to pick up items from this outfit at a souk in Marrakech or at the Grand Bazaar in Turkey. I am insanely jealous! The only thing I ever pick up in a Bazaar is a hamper of Grace foods won at the Bingo stall (true story!).

Maybe I will step out of my box and try some Hammer pants sometime in the near future....


However, I would like to request that they are never EVER worn by men ever again....


Photo: Donato Sardella / WireImage


ALSO: No, tell us how you really feel about Cassie! LOL!

1 comment:

  1. I def do not see the problem with harem pants for STYLISH WOMEN (i.e. not on just any ol' chick). They just need to be a proper pair that complements the rest of the outfit. Also, rest of outfit needs to be kept as simple as poss. And this style only works in certain fabrics, def nothing like jersey or like cotton, these pants actually look best in a really thicker fabric where they can be given some structure, which they need in order to fall the proper way ... despite what ppl think, they are actually difficult to sew.

    ReplyDelete